Friday, April 12, 2013

JCCC3 Cruise Journal / Day 6

When I got back from my vacation two months ago, I wanted to write up my experiences and share my journal right away. But I got sick and life sucked me back in and I wasn't able to overcome that and get back to it. Until now. Posted in real-time fashion, I hope you enjoy reliving JCCC3 with me two months after the fact.

--------

Day 6

[On this day at sea, I attended three straight hours of panels and podcast recordings. The following are my notes and quotes.]


Nerdist Writer's Panel
[You can listen to it for yourself here.]

John Roderick: Hard to tell sometimes how you make money as a writer (some things are for profit, some things are not)

Joseph Scrimshaw: Twitter=immediate validation

John Scalzi: Strategy is to say yes to all kinds of genres

John Roderick: At first worried was squandering limited amounts of creative energy on not song writing, but decided any writing was good. Throw out 80% of writing anyway.

Randall Munroe: [I transitioned by] doing less good at my job

John Scalzi: Don't believe in the muse

Bill Corbett: Reminds me that you can start writing like we start exercise, a little bit at a time

Joseph Scrimshaw/John Scalzi: If your first thing is awesome, well, that's the thing that pays your bills, like your day job now. It allows you to do the thing you love.

John Roderick: Argues the lack of struggle by self-publishing keeps us at the level of “good” and keeps us from honing our crafts to be “great”.

Joseph Scrimshaw: We still like finished/polished products, but we also like seeing how they got there in real time (a human thing)

Randall Munroe: There are the same amount of eyeballs out there (same amount of attention). It's divided up more. [implying the internet doesn't change the amount of information we consume, but it does spread our consumption out amongst many different sources]

Adam Bernstein: says not to edit so much, so you don't lose spirit of it

John Roderick: write now, edit later

Joseph Scrimshaw: Writes out crappy list of what he's actually going to do to get through rough patch

John Scalzi: Thinks the really good ideas are the ones you can remember, even if you fall asleep again without writing it down. [I am not so sure I agree with him on this point]


Quitter's Panel

[Angela Brett recorded many things on JCCC3, and has put together a youtube playlist of this panel]

Nicole Dieker: Says she is organized and had charts. If she could keep the line of profit/popularity above a certain point for a certain amount of time, then she could quit.

Joel Watson: You have to do it all wrong so you figure it out.

Recurring theme => Make a business plan. This is a business. Get a CPA, don't be your own lawyer, establish your business early to get credit.

Joel Watson: Phases: 1.) Get people to read it and tell their friends. 2.) Sell something. 3.) Thing X.

Christopher Badell: Worst case scenario, best case scenario, expected scenario => Know what to do in those cases so even good doesn't sink you.


Obsessed Podcast recording

[You can listen to it for yourself here.]

Joseph Scrimshaw: “collecting things inside your body...” (this is funny because eating is like this!)

Joseph Scrimshaw, to Phirman: “Have you ever tried doing the fastest, easiest things and seeing if it works?”

Wil Wheaton: Hard to make the same beer twice. Hate American beers, but have to give it to them for consistency.

Mike Phirman: Why would I use a short cut to do the thing I love to do? I love singing harmonies! Sometimes I sing them twice even though it's good the first time because I love singing it so much!

------

Also got sweet 2nd row seats today because Andrew, Sarah, Kate, and Jim got to the show early. Randall Munroe was cute and told dead-pan stories. His jokes were funny as he told about the ball pit in his house (left many questions unanswered for us) and what would have happened to John Roderick's plane [see reference to John Roderick telling a long story about flying planes on Cruise Day 3] on other planets. The Double Clicks were also so so adorable. Liked their sound. Wil Wheaton was Wil Wheaton-y. Loved his RoboCop bit.

We made it to the game room! Jessica and I played games with Matt and Laura and Blake. We played 2 games of Pandemic and lost [though it turns out we may not have been playing correctly], Ticket to Ride (I won), Tsuro (Blake won), and King of Tokyo (Jessica, the pacifist, won).

No comments: