Monday, February 4, 2013

I feel badly—I feel overmuch!

#sixwordmemoir

Several months ago, as I was emotionally ranting about my reluctance to learn biology, my unfortunate listener interrupted me, saying, "You can't feel badly, you feel bad..." In my unstable emotional state, I did not care if he was right, I just wanted to punch him in the neck. For one, I don't like people telling me how to feel. For two, I don't like people correcting my grammar during emotional rants. Fortunately for him, he was across a rather wide table from me and was able to avoid a jab to the jugular. But also, it turned out that he was right, and I forgave him his impertinence in view of his correctness. He won that round because he got me to stop using "I feel badly" incorrectly. Furthermore, he won the next round because he got me to learn some biology. But if I could go back in time, this six-word memoir would be my retort.

Maybe I'll avoid making such faux pas in the future after I read the book Jen got me for my birthday. Thanks, Jen!

And I'd never actually punch you in the neck, Chris, because, like you say, "No matter what happens today, we'll still be friends."

No comments: