Wednesday, January 22, 2014

"Why be realistic? Don't wake me from my dream.”

Last night I dreamt that I was in a class and we all took turns talking about something with which we were obsessed. I talked about my favorite band, They Might Be Giants, detailing how I own most of their collection*, wear many TMBG t-shirts, and have attended quite a few of their concerts. I woke up thinking this would be a great blog post to write right now while it's still fresh in my mind, if only I hadn't gotten up late for work. I remembered almost my exact words from the dream, but now that I think back on the enthusiasm I had for it in the morning, I'm not sure I really have the interesting angle that seemed so brilliant then. Would anyone really care that I have 25+ of their CDs, 4 records, 7 shirts**, a personalized ring tone, and have seen them at least 6 times on tour? Maybe, but only if I could package it in an interesting story.

After I delivered my TMBG fan-girl resume in my dream, my friend CGAT stood up and said, “You know what I'm really obsessed with? Cankles.” Someone in the dream unfortunately stopped him before he got any farther.



*I'd love to say I “celebrate their entire catalogue”, but it's quite extensive with many many non-studio album releases, and it would be a lot of work to track all that down, though I do what I can. See the extent of it here.

**For some time I have been considering writing a rant about the difficulty and ridiculously poor usability of buying a tshirt on the internet, but haven't been able to calm down long enough while thinking about it to write anything sensible.

(Title from “We Live in a Dump” off of the Dial-A-Song album)

No comments: