Sunday, November 4, 2012

Peafowl Update

I have a little sad news to report on the Peafowl Watch. My sister writes:
The brother/son peacock that wandered off through the neighborhood wasn't seen again, and the poor guy who had his feathers ripped out was killed on the road. We've still got Mom, Dad, and one son, and they come around for bread and crackers together in the evenings. The Mom had some eggs a couple of times over the summer, but they didn't make it. The males lost all their pretty feathers (naturally) over the summer and are now growing all new ones, so that should be pretty. I call the one who comes to the step and peers in for snacks "Buddy" and the other two Mom and Dad.  The three of them are running around together now, and Buddy is always the one who comes to the step and gets me to throw food for everyone.
Previously, I had reported that it was the Dad who had his tail feathers ripped out by a dog, but now I'm not sure if it was one of the sons instead? My sister says her neighbor, their owner, might not be able to tell one from the other, either. Regardless, we're two peafowl down! I have high hopes for Buddy, though, as he sounds a little smarter than the others. Here's hoping the rest can all stay away from the road, dogs, and other mysterious disappearances!

No comments: