Thursday, March 24, 2016

26 Books in 2015: A Follow-up Interview with Andrea



Last year, my friend Andrea decided to participate in a reading challenge she found on Pinterest: 26 books from different categories. All year I enjoyed asking her about what she was reading and hearing about her progress on the list. Below are the results of her year of reading along with her answers to a few questions I posed to her about the adventure.


Q: Did you ever think you weren't going to make it, or did you consider stopping at any point?
A: Towards the end I got a little nervous about finishing, but I had such a fast start from the beginning of the year that it was never a huge concern (I finished on Christmas Eve). I never thought about quitting! Which I'm a little proud of because I quit lots of things.

1. A Book you own but haven't read:
Into the Wild
2. A Book that was made into a movie:
Paper Towns
3. A Book you pick solely because of the cover:
I'll Give You the Sun
4. A Book your friend loves:
Why not me?
5. A Book published this year:
All the Bright Places
6. A Book by an author you've never read before:
Red Rising
7. A Book at the bottom of the "to be read pile":
The President is a Sick Man

Q: Did you do any rating/reviews of the books?
A: No ratings/reviews in a formal sense (other than my Twitter review of The Scarlet Letter: "if you want an old book that takes 200 pages to get interesting, this one's for you!") Lots that I informally talked to friends about though throughout the year.

Q: What was your favorite book you read this year?
A: Picking a favorite book is hard. The book that stuck with me the most and that I still think about sometimes was Les Miserables. I don't know that I would ever read it again though, mostly because of the length so it's hard to call it my favorite. Maybe I could get one of those kid versions that's a bit condensed, though it probably wouldn't be as good. I really loved that one though—the way all the stories fit together and the redemption were great. Even the super long tangents weren't too bad! I became kind of obsessed with this story while I was reading it. I also really liked Modern Romance. That book was fascinating from a real life/science standpoint. Plus it was funny and entertaining to listen to (one of the audiobooks I "read"). I'd want to read it again because I feel like I can't remember all of the facts.

8. A Book with a color in the title:
The Devil in the White City
9. A Book set in a place you want to visit:
The Rosie Project (Australia)
10. A Book you started but never finished:
Guns, Germs and Steel
11. A Book with a lion, a witch or a wardrobe:
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (it has all three!)
12. A Book with a female heroine:
The Royal We
13. A Book set in the summer:
The Paying Guests
14. A Book "everyone" has read but you:
The Scarlet Letter

Q: What was your least favorite book you read this year?
A: Worst book—well, as you can tell from my Twitter review, I was not a fan of The Scarlet Letter. Thank God it was a short book because I wouldn't have made it through much more. The whole introduction of that book didn't make a lot of sense and I didn't feel like it really added to the story, but it was like at least 1/3 of the length of the book so I didn't feel like I could skip it. I also didn't like The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. Maybe I'm kinda dense, but I just didn't really get what was going on in a lot of that book. It was one I was supposed to read for a college class. I'm glad I didn't back then—I'm sure my time was spent better elsewhere.

Q: Which book surprised you the most?
A: The Devil in the White City surprised me, but not in a good way. I thought I would enjoy it a lot because I enjoy history and serial killers (not in a creepy way!) and I had heard very good reviews. I found it kind of slow though really wished that there was more about the serial killer and less about the financial woes of building a World's Fair. On the positive note though, the history in The President is a Sick Man was fascinating. My dad recommended the book to me and I thought he just liked it because it was partially about a journalist (dad's a writer), but the whole book was really interesting. There were weird medical procedures, US history, and presidents! Some of my favorite things. :)


15. A Book with a great first line:
Modern Romance ("Many of the frustrations experienced by today's singles seem like problems unique to our time and technological setting: not hearing back on a text.") (or, if you count the introduction: "oh, shit!")
16. A Book with pictures:
Castle Waiting
17. A Book from the library:
The Rosie Effect
18. A Book you loved...read it again!:
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
19. A Book of Poems:
Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats
20. A Book you learned about because of this challenge:
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

Q: Have you been able to lift your self-imposed book-buying ban yet??
A: I just bought a book yesterday! I still haven't made it all the way through my own bookshelf, but I decided it was okay to reward my efforts.

Q: What are some of your takeaways from this experience? Would you do it again?
A: Takeaway #1: I thought I would come away reading a whole bunch of different genres and liking lots of different stuff. While I did branch out a little in the genres I chose, at a certain point, you like what you like. And that's ok! I still enjoy memoirs and books by funny people most and have no interest in picking up another book of poetry any time soon. I like hearing peoples' stories, which is harder to get out of poetry.

Takeaway #2: There are a lot of good books out there! Every once in a while I should take a break from Netflix and get back into reading.

Takeaway #3: Audiobooks aren't so bad...for a certain kind of book. I still will probably only choose audio for lighter books, mostly non-fiction, but I loved the efficiency of "reading" while walking to work.

I would totally do it again! I think I would want a different type of list, but sure!

21. A Book that will make you smarter:
What If?
22. A Book with a blue cover:
Wonder
23. A Book you were supposed to read in school but didn't:
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
24. A Book more than 10 years old:
Les Miserables
25. A Book based on a true story:
Yes Please (Amy Poehler memoir)
26. A Book by an author you love:
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (JK Rowling) 

Q: Any reading goals for 2016?
A: I told myself I would read 12 books that have been adapted into films. Then I would see the movie. (or that order might get reversed). I'm already behind schedule. :)

If you enjoyed reading about Andrea’s adventures in reading, then perhaps you would also enjoy my friend, Kate’s, blog. She reads and reviews a ton of books, and completed her own reading challenge last year, and is doing it again this year.



1 comment:

Matt said...

Good interview! I liked the parts about people like what they like, and that's alright, but at the same tIme, there are lots of good books out there (so it's a lot of trial and error). Sometimes I get jaded toward reading bc of one or two uninteresting books, but that shouldn't stop me from finding the good ones :) Thanks for sharing, Andrea and Rachel!